Special Announcement — Call for Applications for the Health Meets Tech 2 ‘Infectious Diseases’ Hackathon
Health Meets Tech is a three-day Hackathon designed by EpiAfric and PandemicTech in partnership with Tech Ranch, Nigeria Health Watch, PharmAccess Nigeria and Ventures Platform to create technology-centred solutions for health. This hackathon will be specifically focused on developing tech solutions for the prevention, surveillance, notification and response to infectious diseases outbreaks in Nigeria.
Date: May 18–20 2018
Venue: Ventures Platform, Abuja, Nigeria.
This Hackathon will create a platform for health workers in the infectious disease area to work with developers from the tech ecosystem to develop solutions for surveillance, notification and response to infectious diseases. Health workers such as Disease Surveillance and Notification Officers (DSNOs), State Epidemiologists, Immunization Officers, Clinicians, Community Health Extension Workers (CHEWs), Laboratory Scientists, Pharmacists and Doctors working in various levels of healthcare delivery in Nigeria in collaboration with Tech and business individuals can participate.
“Health-Tech Solutions to tackle Prevention, Surveillance, Notification and Response to infectious diseases outbreaks in Nigeria.”
· A call for Tech ideas that would improve prevention, surveillance, notification and response to infectious diseases across Nigeria. Seven Ideas(Teams) will be shortlisted to participate in the hackathon
· Participants will apply as Teams of not more than five participants per team. Participants must include at least one Health practitioner working within the Infectious disease space to provide team with context.
· Teams will build financially viable prototypes of technological solutions that could be implemented in the health sector to improve disease surveillance and notification.
· Prior to hacking, there will two panel discussions comprising of senior health, business and tech practitioners to further inspire the teams.
How to Apply
· Please note you must set up a www.f6s.com account to apply
· Participants should apply as Teams HERE
Who may Apply
Any team with maximum of five members who have a Health-Tech Idea on Infectious diseases. Teams MUST consist of the following:
- Health Professional who provides context
Disease Surveillance and Notification Officers (DSNOs)
General health care workers
- Software developers, designers
The preliminary rules of the Hackathon are as follows:
- All participating Teams must include at least one health practitioner working within the infectious disease space.
- All participating Teams must register in advance of the event. Registration closes one month prior to event and registration on day of hackathon will not be allowed.
- Use of existing technology will be permitted, but the technology must be at the developmental stage (i.e. prototype or earlier) and must not have generated revenue specific to solving the hack-a-thon challenges.
- All project teams must be comprised of not more than five members.
- No advance contact may be made with judges regarding projects, and knowledge of such communication may lead to a team’s removal from the competition. Teams will be permitted to work with project mentors in advance of the competition.
- Solutions should be working demos and must be presented at the end of the event.
- All solutions must have financially sustainable components.
- Cash Prizes
(Please note that 40% of the cash prize will be given to winners on the day of the Hackathon, while the remaining 60% will be given upon completion of the incubator program)
1st Prize –N 700,000
2nd Prize — N 500,000
3rd Prize — N 350,000
- Health Meets Tech Incubator Program
A three month bespoke Health Meets Tech Incubation Program put together by our partners:
· Ventures Platform
· Digital Health Nigeria
· Pandemic Tech
· Tech Ranch
Program will include:
· Ideation- This module is designed to introduce the student and potential incubates to what a start-up is. The winning teams will learn how to discover an idea, validate it and develop a testable business model around this idea.
· Launch - After coming up with your business idea and establishing that this venture fits your values and it is something you would love to do/build, this module will guide the winning teams on how to achieve a product-market fit for your product/solution and begin to gain traction.
· Grow - This module is designed to equip a startup with the fundamental skills, structure and know-how to sustain and scale its product/services.
· Award-winning social impact entrepreneurship training from world-renowned technology startup incubator.
· Access to International virtual ecosystem and mentorships
Note that the challenge begins on May 18th, 2018 and only applications received on or before April 20th, 2018 will be considered.
For more information or enquiries, please contact Ugonna on email@example.com.